About your surgery
The Day of Surgery
If you are unable to keep your appointment or you are delayed, please contact the Center immediately.
How to prepare
- All jewelry must be removed prior to surgery. Therefore, it is best to leave all jewelry and other valuables at home or with a family member.
- You are required to bring your driver’s license or photo identification card, and health insurance cards or forms with you. Depending on your insurance, you may also be asked to bring your co-pay, coinsurance, or deductible.
- Choose low-heeled shoes and loose, comfortable clothing which is easy to put on and take off. Avoid garments that pull over your head. Sleeves and legs should be loose enough to fit over bandages if necessary.
- Remove all make-up, nail polish and your contact lenses, if you wear them.
- If applicable, bring the following items with you:
- Contact lenses or eyeglasses in a protective case
- Hearing aid
- Crutches or walker
During your preoperative interview, you will be instructed about what time to arrive at the Center. Please check in at the front desk upon arrival to register. A nurse will then escort you into the preoperative area where your pulse, temperature, respiration, and blood pressure will be taken. You will be asked to change into a gown provided by the Center, and your clothes will be placed in a secured location until you are ready to be discharged. Both your anesthesiologist and surgeon will visit with you prior to surgery. Depending on the type of surgical procedure and other factors, you will be transported via stretcher into the operating suite for your procedure and anesthesia will be administered there.
After your procedure
After your procedure is completed, you will be moved to a recovery area until you are ready to go home. Here, you will be given something to drink and a visitor may join you.
Children must not be left unattended in the waiting room, and will not be permitted in restricted areas for their own safety and the safety of our patients. If you choose to bring children along to the Center, please be sure that they have adequate supervision.